Over the past two months, I’ve noticed and deleted perhaps four blog spam advertisements from my comments section. They’ve been either pornography or pharmacy ads. Over the weekend, I received and deleted seven spams (see below).
Using Sam Spade 1.14, I was able to track down the owner of one of the domains (phentermine-rx-store.com). I have sent an abuse complaint to the ISP from which the spam was posted. I sent e-mail to the domain owner. And I called the company’s 800 number and left a pointed message for the manager.
How much of this is going on?
I will volunteer my site as a clearing house for blog spam information. Send me IP numbers, domain names, e-mail addresses, and 800 numbers of offenders. I’ll create a web page for this and keep a running tally so we can pool IP numbers for banning and other information for later, perhaps more drastic, action if needed.
UPDATE (3:08 p.m.): Here’s a possible solution from Jay Allen. This solution requires implementing 3 MT plug-ins. It looks very difficult. I’m just not sure I want to risk it. Take a look and tell me what you think.
UPDATE (4:05 p.m.): Jay Allen has left a comment scolding me for saying his solution is difficult. I should have qualified my remarks. The procedure looks difficult to me. But, after considering his comment, I have decided to try it. I’ll keep you posted.
UPDATE (4:37 p.m.): Okay, I’ve just installed the 3 MT plug-ins, and I am pleased (embarrassed) to report that it was very easy.
UPDATE (5:42 p.m.): I have completed the task. I did not add the code to the preview function because I did not understand the directions–entirely my own limitations. I’m going to text it now on this entry.
UPDATE (6:15 p.m.): The first two tests of the system failed. I must go back and check everything. This will take a little time. I’ll continue to report here even if this process takes more than one day.
UPDATE (9:50 p.m.): My first three tests have failed, i.e. I posted comments with “banned” URLs and the comments appeared. As I understand it, they are not supposed to appear. I have been though the directions several times now over the past three hours. I am unable to make Jay Allen’s script work. I have sent him e-mail asking for help. I’ll keep you posted.
Earlier, I said I thought this looked very difficult. From the pleased comments on Allen’s web site (see above), it appears many people have made this work. From the tone/content of the messages, I assume these folks have a lot more experience with scripts than I do. If any non-techie blogger reading Rhetorica is able to make this work, please let me know. Thanks.